How to Get Student Visa Sponsorship

International students may require a financial sponsor when applying for a student visa in the United States. If you intend to study in the United States as an international student, you must apply for a student visa.

However, the application process for your student visa may differ depending on the program you have applied for and the type of sponsorship required for your studies. Your student visa may also depend on the country of your study.

Either way, a student visa sponsorship can largely help you in the student visa application process in terms of funds. Have you been on the lookout for a student visa sponsorship, but you do not really know how to start?

This article would serve as a full guide, showing you how and who can help you with a student visa sponsorship. Let’s get started.

A student visa is a non-immigrant class visa that allows international students to study at the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP)-certified universities or colleges in the United States. The SEVP is a program run by the Department of Homeland Security that collects vital information about international students.

The program also provides certification and oversight to accredited institutions, as well as advice to both institutions and students on visa status as an international student and how to maintain eligibility.

When applying for a student visa, you must demonstrate that you can cover your tuition and living expenses in the United States. If you cannot cover it, then you need a student visa sponsorship. Grants, family members, government organizations, and private companies are some examples of financial sponsors for students.

A SEVP-certified US institution must accept you before you can apply for a student visa. Once accepted, you must decide which type of student visa is best for your situation, as each has its own set of conditions and requirements.

The type of student visa you require is determined by the program you are enrolled in as well as your tuition sponsorship. Here are the two most common types of student visas for international students in the United States:

Student Visa for F-1 Student

This is the most common type of student visa, and it allows you to study at SEVP-approved institutions. The following are the primary requirements for F-1 visas:

  • Students are permitted to work on campus without a work permit, but must obtain one in order to work at an off-campus job or internship.
  • Dependents of F-1 students may not work but may enroll in part-time study programs.
  • F-1 graduates may apply for Optional Practical Training (OPT) or Curriculum Practical Training (CPT) to work or train in the United States for up to 12 months after graduation. Graduates of STEM-related degrees can request an additional two years.
  • If no extensions are granted, F-1 students must leave the United States within 60 days of the completion of their program.

Student Visa J-1

You can take part in work- and study-related exchange programs at US colleges and universities with a J-1 student visa. The United States Department of State’s Bureau of Educational Affairs must accredit the institute to which you have applied.

The following requirements apply to J-1 visas:

  • Participating in any work (on or off campus) causesTaking part a work permit.
  • Dependents of J-1 students may work and study both part-time and full-time.
  • J-1 students who have graduated are eligible to apply for Academic Training (AT) opportunities in a field related to their studies.
  • If no extensions are granted, J-1 students must return to their home countries within 30 days of the program’s end date. Before returning to the United States, the student must also live in their home country for two years.

You certainly can! When you apply for a student visa, you are allowed to receive financial aid for your studies from your university or college, the government, or personal sources such as friends or family.

You may be required to provide personal proof of the source that is sponsoring your student visa. Depending on the sponsor, you may be required to complete specific forms in order to disclose the sources of your financial support.

You must get an I-20 or DS-2019 form depending on your student visa. The F-1 visas require the I-20 form, while J-1 visas require the DS-2019 form.

Your I-20 or DS-2019 will be sent to you once your university or college confirms receipt of your payment. J-1 students must work with their program sponsor’s Responsible Officer to obtain their DS-2019 form, whereas F-1 students receive their I-20 from a Designated School Official.

Your I-20 or DS-2019 form contains critical information for your degree, such as the program you intend to study, program start and end dates, funding sponsors, and other personal information you provided when applying. The I-20 or DS-2019 forms are critical because they prove your enrollment at a SEVP-certified institution.

The same information is entered into the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System when your I-20 or DS-2019 is issued (SEVIS). SEVIS is a SEVP database that stores and maintains information about international students online. You must pay the I-901 SEVIS fee as part of the student visa application process.

You must provide evidence of your ability to pay your university tuition and fees for at least 12 months as part of the requirements for your student visa. If your academic program lasts less than a year, say; nine months, you only need to show funding for that time period.

Typically, this entails bank statements from your sponsor (or yourself, if you are paying for your program with your own money). You may also be required to provide a list of total assets, depending on the university.

While you are not expected to pay for every year of your program right away, it is critical to show that you have sufficient funding without having to rely on employment in the United States during your studies.

The type of financial sponsors for students who are eligible to support your program is determined by the student visa you require. You can use personal funds, assets, or property that can be converted into cash, or funds from other people (such as friends and family) or organizations to sponsor an F-1 student visa for an international student. A nonprofit or educational sponsor who is not related to you can only sponsor J-1 visas.

Keep in mind that if family members are sponsoring international students, they must also submit a Form I-134, which states their consent to fund your studies and living expenses, besides bank and asset statements.

Individuals seeking funding from non-family members must submit a Form I-134 along with a written statement explaining why they are paying for their studies. Both forms are available on the website of the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services.

Related Article: How To Apply For a Student Visa In France | Interview, Requirements, Permit

Many nonprofits, private organizations, and the U.S and international governments may provide financial help to international students. This type of help is typically difficult to come by. Here are some organizations that may provide financial help to international students pursuing an education.

Funding from the U.S. Government

It is uncommon to find government support in the United States. Many financial aid programs, such as Pell grants, are only available to citizens of the United States. Some companies may have funds available for students. This could come from the US Department of State. In addition, the US Agency for International Development may assist.

Some students may get funding in this manner. These programs manage the application process for students. They may also have very strict rules regarding the school of choice. It may also restrict how the funds can be used. According to Education USA, students who qualify may get up to 100% of their tuition paid for. It may be worthwhile to look into either of these programs for financial help. This is usually a good place to start.

Funding from an International Government

Some students may obtain funding from their home country’s government. This varies considerably. Some countries may contribute to the cost of studying abroad for their citizens. This could be done for practice.

It is sometimes done to encourage students to pursue more advanced education. They may also provide it if they do not have a program that corresponds to the student’s interests.

If these programs are available, a country’s Department of Education usually offers them. A Ministry of Education may also provide it occasionally. They may assist in the formation of partnerships with schools in the United States.

These collaborations have the potential to be extremely profitable. If these connections exist, students may be eligible for significant funding. This could cause education to be provided for free or at a reduced cost.

Sponsorship for International Students from Private Organizations

Private organizations are another source of sponsorship for international students. Many companies may look for international students to fill key positions. They may also provide them with scholarships. They usually want to foster international relations. Some organizations may wish to open up new channels for untapped talent. Private companies may do this for a variety of reasons, including potential employers.

Companies will frequently do this if they linked their interests to the goals or economics of a country. They may also establish very strict guidelines for this. Before selecting this option, students should learn about the company’s goals. They may have very specific goals for the student once they have completed their course of study. Missions and values should align with the goals of the students.

These private organizations usually set the ground rules for where these funds can come from. It also specifies how the funds will be used. Conditions can sometimes bind a student to a private organization for years. They may influence many aspects of the student’s experience.

Some organizations may cover all the student’s expenses, whether you are a part-time or full-time student. This includes tuition and book expenses. It could also include funds for relocating to the United States. Some programs may include internships as part of the curriculum. If this is the case, the J1 visa rules remain in effect.

Sponsorship for International Students from Nonprofit or Other Organizations

Some non-profit organizations may assist with these expenses. They may provide financial help to international students who wish to study in the United States. These are typically companies based outside of the United States. Some may do so if they will benefit from improved global travel or cultural exchange. Many non-profit organizations have a specific goal or benefit in mind. They should teach these rules to students.

They should learn about the organization and its goals. Some of these programs may be somewhat restricted. Many people may offer to cover the entire cost of the student’s education. Books, fees, and tuition may be included.

Some will even pay for your rent. They may even provide a stipend to help with expenses. These organizations can be difficult to locate. Some can be obtained from the education department. Students frequently require a working relationship with the organization. This may open the door for them to receive this type of assistance.

Frequently Asked Questions

Parents. Your first port of call should always be your father or mother. Blood relatives may also serve as your sponsor. As a result, the form must include information about how they are related to you. Grandparents, immediate uncles, and aunts from both maternal and paternal sides, as well as cousins, can all help you.

Just look out for organizations that offer student visa sponsorship and keep an ear to the ground to know when to apply.

Only the applicant, parents, grandparents, or spouse may serve as sponsors. There are no restrictions on who can be a sponsor for a school applicant.

The person, government, company, or organization willing and able to financially support the international student. Tuition, books, supplies, fees, and living expenses are all covered by financial aid for the duration of the student’s studies at the institution.

Yes, you can be sponsored by a friend. They will be required to complete USCIS paperwork. You must first be accepted to a school and have them provide you with an I-20.

To summarize, students must typically apply through a program sponsor. These sponsors are usually in charge of selecting those who will participate in the J1 Exchange Visitor Program. They may then provide assistance to the student while they are in the United States. A person may apply for sponsorship of a J1 visa.


International students who want to study full-time abroad have several options. Many students must pay for their college education themselves. International student sponsorship could help cover the high costs of higher education.

Many student loan programs and grants in the United States are typically only available to citizens of the United States. Some may provide opportunities for students, but these are usually not provided by the government. Financial support can come from a variety of sources. The main advantage here is that the sponsor usually covers some or all of the student’s expenses.



You May Also Like