You will only need an entry visa if the duration of your studies does not exceed three months (whether it is a short training course or a short study program). If your study will last longer than three months, you will need to get a residence permit before traveling to Sweden.
International students from Northern Europe, the European Economic Area, and the European Union do not require a residence permit in Sweden. They can, however, apply to the Swedish Immigration Authority upon arrival.
This article contains all you need to know about getting a student visa in Sweden.
Types of student visas in Sweden
It is important that you know which student visa you need in Sweden, as it would ensure you have the right application process. In Sweden, there are three types of student visas.
- The F Student Visa: To study at an accredited college or university in Sweden, or to study English at an English language institute, you would definitely need the F student visa.
- The J Exchange Visa: This student visa in Sweden is mostly for participation in an exchange program, such as high school or university studies.
- They issued the M Student visa in Sweden for non-academic or vocational study or training in Sweden.
If you like to study in New Zealand, read; How to Get New Zealand Student Visa | Step-by-Step Procedures
How do students visa work in Sweden?
In Sweden, there are factors that should be considered before a student visa in Sweden is issued. The student’s need for a visa to study in Sweden is determined by factors such as:
- Their place of birth.
- If the student has previously held a Schengen residence permit in another Schengen country.
- If they are a permanent resident of the European Union.
There are some specific requirements that must be met in order to apply for a student visa to Sweden. They are-
- A valid passport is required for the student.
- The student must have enrolled in a full-time course that requires their presence in higher education.
- The student must be able to support themselves financially for the duration of the residence permit they are applying for.
- Before applying, the student must have paid a reasonable tuition fee.
- If the student intends to stay in Sweden for less than a year, they must have applied for health insurance.
The following are the specific regulations for the types of evidence required:
- When asked, the student must provide a statement from their own bank account.
- Only personal bank account statements will be accepted. When submitted, shared bank account information will be marked as invalid.
- If the student has money in multiple bank accounts, they must provide the information for all of them.
- It is critical for a student to demonstrate that he or she has sufficient financial resources to cover tuition and living expenses while in Sweden.
Isreal is one country that take lesser time to process their visa. Read to learn How To Get an Isreal Student Visa | Step To Step Procedures
Requirements or Eligibility Criteria in Sweden
A student must have the following documents in order to obtain a student visa to study in Sweden:
- A passport that is valid for at least three months after the visa’s expiration date, has at least two blank pages and was issued within the last ten years.
- The student must be able to explain why they are want to school in Sweden.
- A Swedish university invitation or proof of acceptance is required for the student.
- The student must have enough money to support themselves (SEK 450 per day, equivalent to INR 3,850) and return home at any time.
- They must also have personal medical travel insurance that covers at least EUR 30,000. (INR 25,80,000).
- They must show that they intend to leave the country within the last day before their visa expires.
- A passport-sized photograph that is only 6 months old.
- Any other documents requested by the embassy.
To enjoy seamless application as a Spain aspirant, check out How To Apply For a Student Visa In Spain | Interview, Requirements, Permit
How Long Is the Sweden Student Visa Valid?
If the student’s academic course is less than a year, the residence permit will be valid for one year. Where the continued course may be extended, the student must apply for the extension well before the course’s end date.
If a student already has a residence permit and wishes to extend it, they must apply for the extension at least 6 months before the existing residence permit expires.
Documents required to apply for an extension of a student visa in Sweden are-
- A valid passport is required for the student.
- Respective students must gain acceptance into a Swedish higher education institution.
- The student must have made satisfactory progress in their studies.
- The student must be financially capable of supporting themselves for the duration of their stay in Sweden.
- If the student does not have an active health insurance policy in Sweden, they must have applied for one.
Are you low on cash? Read How to Get Student Visa Sponsorship | Step-by-Step Procedures to learn how to work on a budget.
Fees and Cost of student visa in Sweden
The student must pay the application fee using a credit or charge card. If the student is applying through the Swedish embassy, they must pay the fee in cash at the same time. If the application is rejected, they will not refund the fee.
The fee structure for the applicants and their family members (spouse or others) for student visa is the same. The approximate fee structure for the Swedish student visa is about $70.
China is one great country to study. Read this Sure Tips to get China Student VISA Fast
How to apply for a student visa in Sweden?
Here is the right step to take when you want to apply for a student visa in Sweden:
1: Letter of Acceptance to a Swedish University
The University sends you an email with your letter of acceptance to study and enroll as a full-time student. It occurs after you have completed all of the application procedures.
You must first read the following article: How to apply for admission to and register at a Swedish university.
Check Out this How to Apply for Student Visa in Canada | Interview, Requirements, Permit
2: Completing a Visa Application
When applying online, you must provide information about yourself and your studies. This information also includes a list of required documents and evidence, which are as follows:
- A copy of your passport pages containing your personal information, as well as your country’s residence permit allowing you to live in other countries (a valid passport).
- Your letter of acceptance to a study program at a Swedish university.
- If you are accepted to study in Sweden for a year, you must provide proof of comprehensive health insurance coverage during your stay. If the university provides health insurance, you must submit a certificate as proof.
- You must provide proof of your financial ability to support yourself financially while studying in Sweden. Furthermore, it must be written in English.
- If you travel to study abroad on a scholarship, you must submit documentation to prove your eligibility.
- Documents should only be available in the following formats: pdf, doc, Docx, jpg, png, RTF, and txt.
- A single document cannot be larger than 2MB in size.
- If you encounter any difficulties while completing the electronic application, you can contact the Swedish Immigration Service.
- Apply for a visa at least 6-8 weeks before the start of your course and travel to Sweden.
3. Pay the visa application fee
You can pay the fees with a credit card online or at the Swedish embassy or consulate in your country. In addition, the visa application fee is estimated to be between 900 and 1,000 SEK.
According to February 2016 banking transactions, the dollar is worth 8.5 SEK and the euro is worth 9.5 SEK.
When you apply for a student visa online, the Immigration Authority will begin the procedures to accept your application right away.
As a result, all data and documents submitted on the visa application must be complete and correct in order to avoid unnecessary delays.
5- Pay a visit to the Swedish embassy or consulate in your home country.
Your visa application decision will be sent to you via email. Once you receive it, you must visit the Swedish embassy to complete some requirements, such as your fingerprint, and others that cannot be completed online and must be completed in person.
Student visa processing time in Sweden?
Approximately 90 days. Since all visa applications are sent to Sweden, the visa is usually processed within 90 days. However, it may take longer, and you should begin the process as soon as possible.
In addition, a paper application takes significantly longer than an online application. As a result, students are advised to use an online application.
Can I get a student visa in Sweden without IELTS?
An IELTS score is required for admission to a Swedish university. Swedish universities require all applicants, including international students, to have English language skills as one of the general admissions requirements. A study visa to Sweden, on the other hand, has no language requirements.
International students from non-native English-speaking countries are expected to have adequate English language skills and proficiency. Swedish universities, on the other hand, require students to have a language proficiency score in order to be admitted.
Working while studying in Sweden?
It is difficult, but not impossible, to find a part-time job in Sweden. Part-time jobs are not prohibited by the government, nor are working hours restricted for international students. Part-time salaries for students visiting Sweden for studies range between EUR 700-1000 (equivalent to INR 60,000-86,000) per month. However, in addition to work, the student will study for approximately 40 hours per week.
Internships for international students are very likely while they are studying. This will provide a lump sum amount of stipend to live in the country’s expensive environment.
How long does it take for a student visa to be processed in Sweden?
It takes approximately 90 days to process a student visa in Sweden.
How much money is required for a student visa to Sweden?
The student must have enough money to support themselves (SEK 450 per day, equivalent to INR 3,850) and to return home at any time.
What is the minimum bank balance required for a Sweden visa?
When applying for a study permit and a visa to Sweden, you must provide financial information in the form of a personal bank statement. All applicants must demonstrate that they can cover their living expenses while studying. The monthly payment is 8,064 (Swedish Kroner) SEK.
Can I stay in Sweden after finishing my studies?
If you are a non-EU citizen and want to stay in Sweden after finishing your studies, you can apply to extend your residence permit for up to six months in order to look for work or start your own business.
Is the IELTS exam required to study in Sweden?
Yes. An IELTS score is required for admission to a Swedish university. Swedish universities require all applicants, including international students, to have English language skills as one of the general admissions requirements.
After receiving your student visa, you will need to obtain an entry visa to travel to Sweden. This is determined by your country of origin.
You must bring your passport to the embassy or consulate-general to obtain your approval. However, according to the website, some embassies or consulate-generals will mail the decision and residence permit card.
Check with your local embassy to see if this applies to you.