Are you a warm welcoming person and easily know how to put a smile on people’s faces? Don’t you think it’s time to put that to great use on a professional level? You may begin by studying for a diploma in hospitality management.
Obviously, if this course of study sounds new to you, then, you will definitely need to learn about hospitality management and how to get a diploma in hospitality management.
Meanwhile, getting a diploma in any skills you are good at is a good heads up in that field. It boosts your CV and makes it easy to be recruited.
This is because, diplomas are certificates issued by an educational institution, like a college or university, that testifies that the recipient has completed a particular course of study. Also, in actual fact, a diploma refers to an academic award which is given after the completion of study in different courses such as a diploma in higher education, etc.
Thus, getting a diploma in hospitality management is like a stepping stone to any career path. Nonetheless, it will also interest you to know that there are a variety of places you can work with a diploma in hospitality management.
However, if you’ve been looking for in-depth assistance on what hospitality management is and how you can get a diploma in hospitality management then, we have you covered.
Carefully read through this page to see all about hospitality management. Our group of professionals has worked so hard to get this all set for you.
What is Hospitality Management?
Hospitality management is simply the management skill of handling the act of hospitality in industries such as industries, hotels, resorts, or even in an event. Thus, it can also be said to be an administrative task to oversee the good environment of an industry, resort, hotel, and event of good human welcoming.
Hence, the major goal of a hospitality manager is good reception of persons in its vicinity of work and make them feel comfortable.
Ensuring customers or guest have a pleasant experience when they visit your business or hotel is paramount to maintain the business setting. Thus, a good skill in hospitality management helps you achieve this. Therefore, being a hospitality manager is a good career path.
Is hospitality management a good career?
Reading so far, you’d realize that a lot is obtainable in hospitality management. Even, the fact that all businesses need to have a good welcoming to maintain the business, industry or enterprise creates a lot of vacancies in hospitality management.
Thus, getting a diploma in hospitality management is a very good idea and a leading edge to the career path of hospitality management. Therefore, being a hospitality manager is a good career path.
Why get a diploma in hospitality management?
There are numerous reasons to obtain a diploma in hospitality management, assides the fact that getting a diploma in any career path is essential.
Thus, below are enlisted some good reasons why you must get a diploma in hospitality management;
- Undertaking hospitality management as a course of study helps improve your creative thinking in that field.
- It gives one more job security
- It increases your global exposure to the career path
- Your employability skills in the field become high.
Which Careers Can you Pursue with a Diploma in Hospitality Management?
Many may think that they are limited positions or places where hospitality management skills are being applied. However, they are myriad places where hospitality management is needed for the facility to function properly. Some of such places are mentioned below;
- Accommodation manager
- Catering manager
- Conference centre manager
- Event manager
- Fast food restaurant manager
- Hotel manager
- Public house manager
- Restaurant manager
- Air cabin crew
- Business development manager
- Customer service manager
- Fire risk assessor
- Health service manager
- Human resources officer
- Marketing executive
- Retail manager
- Tour manager
- Tourism officer
How Much Do Hospitality Managers Earn?
Hospitality Managers earn a good sum from their jobs. For example, in the United States, according to Glassdoor, the average salary for a hotel manager is about $76,334 and above.
While a separate result by payscale discovered that some luxury hotel managers earn up to $25,000 every year. Notwithstanding, you’d definitely earn a good some.
How Much Can You Earn With A Diploma In Hospitality Management?
According to Glassdoor, apart from Hotel managers, most other fields of work in hospitality management earn within the range of $40,749 to $62,659 per year in the United States.
Like the restaurant manager in the United States earns about $56,708. Then, other reports showing that they earn anywhere from $40,749 to $62,659 a year. Likewise, the coffee shop manager, earning about $57,770 in the United States is about $28 per hour.
How Long Does It Take To Get a Diploma In Hospitality Management?
Clearly speaking, there are various specializations of studies in hospitality management, so some may take a long time while some shorter time to attain. Nonetheless, a diploma in hospitality management will take around four years to complete.
Meanwhile, on-campus programs will require more time to finish the coursework compared to online programs. Most times, online programs are accelerated, hence, students complete their studies in as little as two years. Also, degree programs require less time than regular programs.
Furthermore, Internships and other experience requirements may lengthen the time to acquire the diploma in hospitality management.
How much does it cost to get a diploma in hospitality management?
How much it costs to get a diploma in hospitality management varies according to the type of degree you want to attain. Also, the type of institution you intend to undertake the program determines the cost.
Therefore, below the cost to get a diploma in hospitality management is categorized with the respective range of fees required for the various study types and institutions. Most of this data was collected from a report on College Board;
- To obtain an associate degree of a 2 years course in a public institution, the average cost of tuition/fee is $3,131
- For a Bachelors degree of 4 years course in a public institution, the average cost of tuition/fee is $8,655 per year for in-state students and $21,706 a year for out-of-state students.
- The average cost of tuition/fee in a private institution (4 years) is $29,056 per year
- While earning a master’s degree in hospitality management starts at $10,000 to $35,000 but could cost as much as $80,000 to $90,000 depending on the institution
Meanwhile, there are still many scholarship programs available which students can tap from to complete their studies in getting a diploma in hospitality management and pursue their career path.
How can I get a diploma in hospitality management in 2022?
Getting a diploma in hospitality management takes quite a process like every other degree. But, firstly the student must ensure he has concluded his/her secondary school education before one can apply.
Moreover, before considering an application for a diploma in hospitality management, you must ensure you possess some traits or skills to ascertain that you are good to go.
Skills Necessary To Apply for A Diploma in Hospitality Management
- You must have good organizational skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Also, have a zeal for self-discipline
- Be an extrovert, cooperative, polite and respectful attitude.
- Ability to deal with guest’s criticism
Step-to-step Guide On How to Earn a Diploma in Hospitality Management
Follow the guide below to successfully earn a diploma in hospitality;
- You must first complete your secondary school education. You must have a minimum qualification necessary for a diploma in hotel/hospitality management is 10+2 from a recognised board
- Candidates must have a minimum aggregate score of at least 50% (45% for SC/ST/OBC candidates) at a 10+2 level
- The next thing is an application for a degree or diploma in hospitality management in your respective institution.
- Then, the next thing to do is to seat for the entrance examination for your required institution and also undergo an interview. Thus, when this becomes successful, you’ve fully enrolled to study a hospitality management course.
Things Needed to Apply for a Program of Hospitality Management
- Application: Applications are usually done online. This is where you input all basic and personal details.
- Transcripts: During application, you need to include your high school transcript and transcripts from any previous colleges or universities attended.
- Letters of Recommendation: You may also need to include letters of recommendation with your application, preferably from previous instructors.
- Test Score: Most college admissions require either SAT or ACT scores. Score standards vary by school, but most look for those in the top 25th percentile.
- Application Fee: Application fees cost around $45 on average. Some schools offer waivers in the case of financial hardship.
Which Schools Offer The Best Diploma in hospitality management programs in 2022
They are numerous schools and institutions across the globe that offers courses in hospitality management. So, we have made a good list for you to choose from and chase your dream career path;
#1. Swiss Hotel Management School (SHMS):
The Swiss Hotel Management School is located in Switzerland and it has been around since 1992.
It is one of the best institutions in the world to undertake a program on Hospitality Management.
Many students and alumni have nothing but good testimonies about the school. One of the students said, “I have learned not only the educational part but also about manners, discipline, social behaviours. We are not only taught the theoretical things but also we learn practical skills.”
#2. Bournemouth University:
Bournemouth University is also a good University to obtain a diploma in hospitality management. The school is located in Bournemouth, England in the UK.
There, you will meet a diverse group of individuals from all over the world. There are also many opportunities to network and progress in your education.
#3. Griffth University:
Griffth University has an abundance of helpful workshops and real-life opportunities to help students learn better.
The University is located in South East Queensland, Australia.
Thus, the institution has been noted for being one of the best institutions to undertake a program in hospitality management.
#4. North Arizona University:
Northern Arizona University is one of those universities with an incredibly comfortable atmosphere that motivates me to study.
Thus, is also very notable in handling programs in hospitality management well.
#5. EHL – Ecole Hôtelière de Lausanne, Switzerland:
The École hôtelière de Lausanne is a hospitality management school in Switzerland.
The school is consistently regarded as the best hospitality school in the world. It trains students whose goals are to obtain managerial careers in the hotel and hospitality industries.
Read Also: How to Become a Physical Therapist
You can see other prominent institutions here where you can obtain a good and employable diploma in hospitality management. Visit their respective links to see more about them.
- EHL – Ecole Hôtelière de Lausanne, Switzerland
- School of Hotel Administration at Cornell University, US
- William F. Harrah College of Hotel Administration, US
- Michigan State University, US
- University of Central Florida, US
- Johnson & Wales University, US
- Oxford School of Hospitality Management, UK
- Fairleigh Dickinson University, US
- The Pennsylvania State University, US
- Washington State University, US
- Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hong Kong SAR
- University of Central Florida, US
- Griffith University, Australia
- Sun Yat-sen University, China
- University of Surrey, UK
- Purdue University, US
- Pennsylvania State University, US
- University of Queensland, Australia
- Sejong University, South Korea
- Bournemouth University, UK
- University of Nevada, Las Vegas, US
- Glion Institute of Higher Education, Switzerland
- Les Roches Global Hospitality Education, Switzerland
- Swiss Hotel Management School, Switzerland
- Hotel School the Hague, Netherlands
- Hotel Institute Montreux, Switzerland
- Cesar Ritz Colleges, Switzerland
- Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hong Kong SAR
- IHTTI School of Hotel Management, Switzerland
If you have carefully gone through this article, you’d realize that there are a lot of benefits and career paths in obtaining a diploma in hospitality management.
Also, we have given you details and guidelines on how to obtain a diploma in hospitality management. Thus, it will be our greatest joy if you successfully get to pursue your dreams through reading this article.
Meanwhile, if there was any question, left unanswered feel free to get in touch with us using the comment box below.