The scholarship offer is competitive based on prevailing rates in both public and private universities in Africa. Up to $4,000 is available per scholar per year for up to 4 years. Scholarship awards may be applied towards tuition, housing, study-related travels and other study-related activities.
Before you apply, we advise that you read through this article to learn the full details about this scholarship- who is eligible for the scholarship, the scholarship worth, how to apply, the application deadline, and other important information.
School of Study
African Center for Translational Genomics
Level of Study
To be considered eligible for the ACTG Academic Scholarship, applicants are to meet the following requirements:
- Open to African graduates with a passion for research and excellent academic results.
- It is for students enrolled in full-time PhD programs and who are committed to the completion of their program within the three or a four-year period of their study as defined by their academic institutions.
- Applicants must be admitted to study molecular genetics or genetic epidemiology or related fields.
How to apply for ACTG Academic Scholarship
Follow the application procedures below
- Statement of interest from the applicant showing academic qualifications, research interests, his/her suitability to work with the NCD-GHS and career goals (one paragraph for each criterion). Additional information on past research projects, on-campus or off-campus activities and accomplishments that would aid the Committee in reaching its decision can also be included (max. 2 pages)
- CV of the applicant
- Research proposal summary in either genetic epidemiology or molecular genetics of the NCDs highlighted above (max. 4 pages)
- Letter of support from the department chair or faculty supervisor of the applicant stating the student’s academic qualifications and accomplishments, career goals, and reasons for selecting the candidate (max. 2 pages)
What is the Selection criteria for ACTG Academic Scholarship?
All applicants that meet the eligibility criteria at the close of the application deadline, will be shortlisted for an interview. At the interview stage, successful awardees would be selected based on the following criteria:
Outstanding academic record
As the ACTG’s aim is to empower the next generation of African genomics researchers, a good academic record is a must-have for scholarship recipients. This can be demonstrated through the final graduation points received by the applicant from an undergraduate degree.
Exceptional performance in a master’s degree can compensate for a moderate first-degree performance.
Other evidence of high academic achievement may include individual marks on student transcripts; evidence of previous university prizes or awards; information on your overall position within your cohort; and publications. We expect that program chairs or supervisors would only support applications from the most outstanding students for this scholarship.
Applicant’s aptitude for the program and potential for genomics leadership in the future
Consideration is given to an applicant’s future academic potential and aptitude for the proposed PhD program. This may be assessed by reviewing references and research proposals to determine evidence of an applicant’s aptitude for research and the likelihood of contributing significantly to the field of study.
Direct PhD applicants (and MPhil/PhD applicants) will need to contact a potential supervisor with whom they will develop a research project, a summary of which is part of the application. Publications from the applicant’s Master’s degree dissertation especially in genomics will be an advantage.
This is assessed through evidence of the applicant’s commitment to the proposed course and evaluation of the personal statement and the referees’ reports.
ACTG Academic Scholarship Application Deadline
The entry for this scholarship application is hasn’t been announced officially. We’ll keep the site updated when the date is made known.
We hope this writing provided your scholarship necessities. Please share with your friends and leave your question or response in the comment box. We will attend to you immediately.