Albany is the capital of the U.S. state of New York, and the seat and largest city of Albany County.
Albany is on the west bank of the Hudson River, about 10 miles (16 km) south of its confluence with the Mohawk River, and about 135 miles (220 km) north
of New York City.
The city is known for its architecture, commerce, culture, institutions of higher education, and rich history.
It is the economic and cultural core of the Capital District of New York State, which comprises the Albany–Schenectady–Troy Metropolitan Statistical Area, including the nearby cities and suburbs of Troy, Schenectady, and Saratoga Springs.
With an estimated population of 1.1 million in 2013, the Capital District is the third-most populous metropolitan region in the state.
In reading this article, you would get to know about the 10 best colleges in Albany, why you should even consider studying in the best colleges in Albany, and of course, the cost of studying in the best colleges in Albany.
Why Study In The Best Colleges In Albany?
Here are some reasons to choose Albany as your place of study:
- We have referred the best colleges in Albany to as world-class learning institutions. The colleges offer top-notch education programs with highly qualified teaching staff. The research at many of these universities is innovative and often published in journals worldwide.
- Also, in the best colleges in Albany, you could choose from the vast number of academic options offered to students.
- The best colleges in Albany also have Nobel laureates
- The best colleges in Albany have worldwide recognition, such that employers would recognize worldwide.
- The colleges have also earned earn their accreditation by meeting certain criteria, helping ensure quality education, as well as a degree or certificate that is recognized.
- Supporting industries, training, and research.
- Regardless of what degree a student pursues in the best colleges in Albany, he or she will have to use computers and other state-of-the-art technologies to succeed. Many universities incorporate the latest technology into their curriculum, encouraging students to get proficiency before they go out into the workplace.
- The best colleges in Albany accommodates working students, most schools offer flexible academic programs. This means that, very often, one can choose when to attend classes, how many classes to enroll in each semester or quarter, what electives or optional classes to take.
- The people in Albany are very hospitable, friendly, kind, generous, and accepting of foreigners. They are also funny, gregarious, innovative, resourceful, and eager to learn. These are traits that many international students adopt and take home with them.
- In the best colleges in Albany, there is academic support available to all students in the form of writing centers, free tutoring, the professors ‘office hours, career counseling, support with finding internships, and more.
You Can Also Check Out 10 Best Colleges in Pittsburgh | 2022
Cost of Studying in the Best Colleges In Albany
Earning a college degree from the best colleges in Albany is a smart investment in your future.
That’s because the value of your degree is determined not just by the education and career preparation you receive, but also by how much it costs to receive it.
Full-time tuition and fees cover 12 or more credits each semester.
The highlight of the cost of college in Albany is:
- Tuition- $7,070 – $24,910
- Annual fees- $3,398
- On-campus housing- $9,558
- Meal plan- $5,570
Don’t Fail to Read These 10 Best Colleges in Chicago | 2022
Are There Scholarships For The Best Colleges In Albany?
A lot of students cannot afford to pay the full tuition and annual fees. As such, they need help with paying it.
They mostly award the scholarship programs to newly admitted freshmen and transfer students with noteworthy achievements.
These scholarships are mostly awarded to first-year students who have demonstrated outstanding academic excellence, reflected by their academic achievement and performance.
Some of the scholarship programs available are:
Read Also: 10 Best Colleges in Mississippi
How Are Scholarships Paid Out In The Best Colleges In Albany?
Scholarships from external sources can be paid out in a few ways:
- When a scholarship check is made payable to the University, the funds are credited to your student account as soon as they receive the check. It doesn’t matter if the donor sends it directly to Student Financial Services or you drop it off in person.
- Also, when a scholarship check is made payable to the student but sent to the University, they sent a postcard, asking you to come to the Student Financial Services center to sign the check so the college can apply the amount to your account.
- When a scholarship check is made payable to the student and sent directly to the student, they do not credit it as expected aid and you may use the money for any education-related expense.
Check Our Full Review on University of Miami Tuition: Scholarships, Acceptance Rate & Cost of Living
How Do I Find Scholarship Opportunities For The Best Colleges In Albany?
There are several ways through which you can find scholarships for your chosen college.
Some of them are:
- By surfing the web
- By speaking to officials
- Through organizations and professional associations related to your field of study
- By speaking to your high school guidance counselor
- By speaking to your parents or their employers
- Through private foundations, service organizations, religious groups, and local businesses
You may also use the New York State Higher Education Services Corporation website or the U.S. Department of Labor’s Scholarship Finder as resources.
You Should Also Read Through 10 Best Colleges in Florida 2022
10 Best Colleges in Albany in 2022
#1. University at Albany – SUNY
Being one of the best colleges in Albany, University at Albany believes in unleashing your potential, in setting the standard for inclusive excellence, and in learning and discovering for the betterment of all.
For over 175 years they have committed the school to see perseverance in the underestimated and promise in the unwavering.
This is one school in Albany that does not delay in unleashing greatness upon students. It is also internationally recognized.
See how to make your study easy with Florida Atlantic University Scholarships 2022 | USA
#2. Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute is a private research university in Troy, New York, with additional campuses in Hartford and Groton, Connecticut.
They organize RPI into six primary schools which contain 37 departments, with emphasis on science and technology.
As of 2017, RPI’s faculty and alumni included six members of the National Inventors Hall of Fame, six National Medal of Technology winners, five National Medal of Science winners, eight Fulbright Scholarship recipients, and a Nobel Prize winner in Physics.
They have ranked RPI since 1970 among the top 50 American universities.
#3. The College of Saint Rose
It became fully co-educational in 1969. The campus of The College of Saint Rose is located in the Pine Hills neighborhood of Albany, the capital city of New York.
It is one of the best colleges in Albany.
#4. Union College
Union College is a private liberal arts college in Schenectady, New York. Founded in 1795, it was the first institution of higher learning chartered by the New York State Board of Regents, and second in the state of New York, after Columbia.
The college offers a liberal arts curriculum across some 21 academic departments, as well as
opportunities for interdepartmental majors and self-designed organizing theme majors.
It offers a wide array of courses in the humanities, social sciences, arts, sciences, literature, and foreign languages. It is one of the best colleges in Albany.
#5. Siena College
Siena College is a private institution that was founded in 1937. It has a total undergraduate enrollment of 3,300 (fall 2020), its setting is suburban, and the campus size is 175 acres.
It utilizes a semester-based academic calendar. Siena College’s ranking in the 2022 edition of Best Colleges is Regional Universities North, #13. Its tuition and fees are $40,225.
#6. Russell Sage College
Russell Sage College is a private institution that was founded in 1916. It has a total undergraduate enrollment of 1,287.
Also, it has a city setting, and the campus size is 19 acres. It utilizes a semester-based academic calendar.
Russell Sage College’s ranking in the 2022 edition of Best Colleges is National Universities, #227. Its tuition and fees are $33,894. Russell Sage College is one of the best colleges in Albany.
#7. Mildred Elley – Albany
Founded in 1917 by Augusta Mildred Elley, a local woman who was educated at a college in New York City, the school initially educated women for secretarial positions.
It is one of the best colleges in Albany.
#8. Empire State College-State University of New York
Empire State College (SUNY Empire or Empire) is a public university headquartered in Saratoga Springs, New York.
It is part of the State University of New York (SUNY) system. Empire State College is a multi-site institution offering associate, bachelor’s, master’s, doctoral degrees, and distance degrees worldwide through the Center for Distance Learning.
The college has approximately 10,000 undergraduate students and has an acceptance rate of 63%.
#9. Bryant & Stratton College
Bryant & Stratton College (BSC) is a private for-profit college with campuses in New
York, Ohio, Virginia, and Wisconsin, as well as an online campus.
Founded in 1854, the college offers associate degree programs at all campuses and bachelor’s degree programs at some campuses.
The college is approved by the New York State Board of Regents and regionally accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education.
#10. College of Nanoscale Science & Engineering
The College of Nanoscale Science and Engineering is the college of nanotechnology at
the SUNY Polytechnic Institute campus in Albany, New York.
Founded in 2004 and formerly a component of the University at Albany, SUNY, the college underwent rapid expansion in the late-2000s and early-2010s before merging with the SUNY Institute of Technology in 2014.
College of Nanoscale Science and Engineering is one of the best colleges in Albany.
Studying in the best colleges in Albany provides you with a close-knit, caring university community that supports you every step of the way.
Whether you’re studying at university for the first time or looking to build your knowledge at the postgraduate level, you’ll learn from internationally recognized experts and enjoy unique experiences as part of your course.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is University at Albany a top school?
University at Albany, part of the State University of New York, continues to garner recognition as the top-ranking public school of education in New York and #2 in the Northeast, according to the U.S. News & World Report’s 2020 “Best Graduate Schools” rankings.
Where is a college in Albany?
The university’s three campuses are the Uptown Campus in Albany and Guilderland, the Downtown Campus in Albany, and the Health Sciences Campus in the city of Rensselaer just across the Hudson River.
Is Albany a party school?
It is the ninth time the University at Albany — a state-run school with an undergraduate enrollment of 12,000 students — has been on the party school list. It was No. 1 in 1998. Still, some students say Albany’s ranking isn’t deserved.
Is Albany NY Safe?
The D- grade means the rate of crime is higher than the average US metro area. Albany Metro is in the 15th percentile for safety, meaning 85% of metro areas are safer and 15% of metro areas are more dangerous. This analysis applies to the Albany metro area’s proper boundaries only.
Is UAlbany a dry campus?
No. But you may not carry an illegal substance nor consume any alcoholic beverages within campus premises.